Resource Pages

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Weighing the Risks - Side Effects and Such

[T-Minus 26 Days.]

There are risks to starting any medication. Of course there are. Starting any new medication means facing down potential side effects, not to mention adding a new routine to one's day or week or month. It means adding another visit to the pharmacist, and everything that entails (including potentially awkward conversations with the pharmacist about this medication or that). It means more frequent visits to the doctor.

I want to say that I spent a lot of time considering the side effects of PrEP, and other issues mentioned above, but I didn't. From the outset, Truvada (PrEP) was described to me as incredibly safe and reliable - even a couple of years ago, there was substantial evidence that PrEP was extremely effective. Besides, I already take a couple medications regularly, so adding another to the mix really isn't going to change my routine that much. The pharmacist still makes me a little uncomfortable, but not because of PrEP - it's just always felt like picking up or discussing medications should be a more private thing (but I deal with it). And I like my doctor, not to mention I enjoy being healthy in a general sense, so having a good reminder to check in more often isn't exactly a bad thing. And I'm fortunate to have good insurance and a good job, so the cost of the extra appointments and things isn't as big a deal for me as it might be for some.

As I've gotten a bit closer to starting PrEP, I have gotten a little more anxious about side effects though, so I did a little research into the specifics. Check out a section from Gilead's prescriber's guide for Truvada for PrEP below, as well as the company's website for individuals interested in PrEP.





For those taking Truvada for PrEP, the most common side effects were "headache, abdominal pain and decreased weight," and the incidence was incredibly low. It really seems pretty damn safe. I can deal with a headache or an upset stomach for a bit (in my experience, side effects from meds don't tend to stick with me for very long). Decreased weight is maybe something to consider, but of course I'll be going to the doctor every few months while I'm on PrEP anyway, so I can always talk about diet if my doctor or I ever feel like I'm losing too much weight - not likely!

Of course, there's a cost aspect to taking PrEP, too. I'm choosing to voluntarily take a daily medication that even on my decent insurance is a bit pricey. Still, relative to a lifetime of medical care for HIV, I think PrEP wins financially, too. Besides, there are programs all over that can potentially help subsidize the cost of Truvada for PrEP. I'll talk more about this in an upcoming post, but if you need cost assistance now, Gilead has a fantastic copay and prescription assistance program.

Ultimately, my decision to take PrEP has been about deciding how much risk (physical, social, financial, etc.,) I'm willing to accept in taking it, versus my risk for HIV infection. It's no small thing - taking it or not, either could have a major impact on my life.

For me, the choice feels easy (I feel that in my case, it's a fairly cheap and very effective way to enhance my protection against HIV,) but for you reading this, maybe that's not the case. That's okay, too! There are loads of other prevention options, if PrEP isn't right for you. If it is, and you're just not sure how to talk about it (or a bit scared to,) there are lots of fantastic resources to help start that conversation - and lots of great doctors that are willing to have it, too!

For resources about PrEP, HIV/Testing, and HIV/AIDS in general, click on the Resources tab near the top of the page.

More soon. Happy Winter Holidays, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment