Resource Pages

Friday, December 11, 2015

Prepping for PrEP

Hello Friends!

So, in T-31 days, if everything goes to plan, I will become one of those cute little creatures pictured below. Well, metaphorically anyway.



Two days ago I started the process of getting a prescription for PrEP. PrEP stands for Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis, and consists of a daily regimen of Truvada, an Anti-Retroviral drug commonly used to treat HIV (by suppressing its replication in some specific ways), which in this case is prescribed to HIV- persons to prevent transmission/infection. PrEP has been an available option for a couple years now, and has thus far demonstrated a 95% or greater prevention of HIV transmission/infection WITHOUT other prevention methods - with proper hygiene and consistent condom use, that number approaches 100%.

The problem is that there is still a lot of stigma around HIV and around PrEP (which is why I'm sharing this), and often a complete lack of information. Many who know the LGBTQ community have likely heard the term "Truvada Whore", a person who supposedly takes PrEP specifically with the goal of being promiscuous, without using condoms. In reality, while a small number of people might do this, research and common sense have showed that this is almost never the case (remember PrEP only prevents HIV transmission, not any of the numerous other harmful STI's out there - don't be stupid, ya gotta wrap it up, too). Because of this biased perception, there are still many doctors who refuse to prescribe PrEP on "moral" grounds. That said, I'm fortunate - I live in a major city, with access to broad options for medical care, and I work in an industry that affords me more education and connections around PrEP than most people.

So I am going to document my process as I get myself on PrEP. I am NOT A DOCTOR (obviously), so I am only sharing my own experience, and the knowledge I've built in my field. I am in no way trying to give medical advice, and others may have a completely different experience getting on PrEP for themselves. What I'm trying to do in sharing a piece of my process publicly is, hopefully, to raise awareness, and reduce stigma at least a little bit.

So, all that said:

Step one was to go to the doctor and bring up PrEP. This means being willing to talk to your doctor about your sexual health, which may be uncomfortable for some. My doctor then asked me some questions about my sexual habits, and then described the process over the following months.

Step two was to get a few major blood tests: an HIV test, a Hep B test, and liver and kidney function labs. The HIV test is obvious - if I have HIV, then prevention is basically a moot point. The Hep B test is done because it remains incurable, and because Truvada is a potential treatment for Hep B infection. The liver and kidney function tests are to ensure that my body can handle the medication - Truvada is an incredibly safe medication, but it is still very potent, and can have an impact on liver and kidney function. If that is already compromised, PrEP can put unnecessary strain on those organs.

Step three is where I am now: the waiting game. After the conversation and panel of tests, I have to wait for roughly 30 days while the results come back and I reflect on if I want to go forward with PrEP. After the waiting period, I'll be back in to the doctor for another round of confirmatory labs, and I'll get my first one-month script for Truvada.

There is so much shame around PrEP (and HIV!) still, and there shouldn't be. I'm PROUD to be getting on PrEP - if there is a thing that I can do to both prevent being infected myself, and thus anyone else, then I'll do it. We can't ‪#‎endHIVandAIDS if we're not informed and active participants in our health.


If you want more information, I can point you in the direction of good, professional resources around PrEP, but if you're comfortable with it, then the best place to start is with your doctor. And remember, PrEP isn't just for gay people - straight people can get a prescription, too!

Keep an eye out for my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment